in ,

The Oldest “Bahay na Tisa” in existence in Pasig City

The Oldest “Bahay na Tisa” in existence in Pasig City

Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto poses inside ‘Bahay na Tisa’ in this photo uploaded by the Pasig City Dengue Task Force on Feb. 19, 2020. (Photo from Pasig City Dengue Task Force via Facebook)

Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto amused Filipinos when he dressed up for fun and posed inside the city’s oldest “bahay na bato” in existence which is also considered a tourist spot.

The 30-year-old local chief executive wore a barong Tagalog and a hat that was popular during the Spanish colonial period with a matching quill pen on his hand.

The pictures were shared by the Facebook page of Pasig City Dengue Task Force, which simply captioned the post with “Mayor Vico Sotto sa Bahay na Tisa!”

BAHAY NA TISA, before and after


The Oldest “Bahay na Tisa” in existence in Pasig City. It was built by Don Cecilio Tech y Cabrera in the early 1850s. It has been home to seven generations of the Tech family and has been witness to significant historical events in Pasig and in the country. The direct descendants of Don Cecilio are still in residence.

SALA                                                                                            VERANDA

During Martial Law, it was called Freedom House because both factions of the political  spectrum can use the house as a venue for their meetings. It was also at one time the unofficial San Jose Barangay Headquarters at one time. Art exhibits were also held here. On the other hand, the Bahay na Tisa is also home to the Santo Nino de Pasion. More so, every Sunday after Easter, the sick people of the town gathered inside the house to receive the Holy Communion and the benediction of the Parish Priest (Viatico Publico).

The Bahay na Tisa has huge blocks of adobe for the ground floor walls which served to carry the load of the hardwood floorings of the second floor. The roof was originally Tisa but was destroyed during World War II and was replaced with corrugated asbestos roof. The windows were made of Capiz Shells. Due to its antiquity and unique character as a “Bahay na Bato” in the urban setting.

The Bahay na Tisa has been a favorite venue for many movies and TV serials – one of the most notable being the Centennial Offering on the National Hero, Dr. Jose Rizal.

In view of these facts, the City of Pasig has conferred the Bahay na Tisa the Dangal ng Pasig Award for Culture on the 30th day of June 2009. 

Bitukang Manok or Pariancillo River


The waterway of Bitukang Manok is serpentine-like and was a principal part of the Pasig River. The Spaniards named the river as “Rio de Pasig,” however, the people continued to refer to it among themselves as Bitukang Manok.

The first sketch of Bitukang Manok or Pasig River became known as the Pariancillo River where its bank flourished as the public market up to 1970’s. Likewise, the Bitukang Manok contributed immensely to the economic prosperity of Pasig since time immemorial, by irrigating its rice plains.

The Bitukang Manok links the Pasig River with the Antipolo River. During the 17th up to the early 20th century, many pilgrims from Manila and nearby towns took the route of Bitukang Manok to the Shrine in Antipolo. Even the image of the Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage passed this way back and forth eleven times. In the 18th century, the Gremio de Mestizos de Sangley or Chinese Mestizos built a concrete covered bridge in the style of a pagoda over this waterway. It was called Pariancillo Bridge and later, Fray Felix Trillo Bridge in honor of Pasig’s dynamic pastor.

The Katipunan led by Andres Bonifacio and Emilio Aguinaldo also held part of the Asamblea Magna aboard seventeen bancas on

this river in the first week of May 1896. The post-war period saw the drastic decline of the Bitukang Manok. It also succumbed to environmental pollution due to population growth.

The worst came to the Bitukang Manok River in the late 1960’s when the ailing river, instead of being revived was buried under the ground to give way to commercial establishments.

This picture was taken circa 1899. Its two sides is now developed as a promenade for those who wish to walk along the 3.6kms length that starts infront of McDonald and end at Asahi Glass in Pinagbuhatan.


This was built in 1881 by Don Apolonio Santiago y Domingo, gobernadorcillo of Pasig. In 1894, it was transformed into the Cuartel del Guardia Civil. During the outbreak of the Philippine Revolution in 1896, suspected Katipuneros were imprisoned, tortured and died here.

After the Filipino-American War, it was acquired by Doña Clara Tambunting de Oliveros and in 1922 by Engineer and Mrs. Domingo Guanio. 



This is the first Marian Parish in the Philippines. The Augustinian Missionaries founded it in 1572. The original patroness of the church was the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (1573) whose feast falls on 2 July. The title of Immaculate Conception was only recognized on 25 April 1587.

The present stone church of the archdiocese was built between the years 1722 to 1760. – Rating as the oldest edifice in Pasig. Here, the Second Philippine Commission met in 5 June 1901 to discuss the organization of a civil government; thus, creating through the enactment of the Philippine Commission Act No. 137 the Province of Rizal with Pasig as its capital. In 28 October 1992, a new Immaculate Conception of Pasig with renovated altars and marble floor was blessed by Jaime Cardinal Sin, the same date the old altar was blessed. In October 2003 came a milestone in the church history when the church was converted into a cathedral with father Francisco San Diego as the first bishop.

The ICC has its own Diocesan Museum located in its convent. It houses different church artifacts such as the dresses of the Immaculate Conception, the remnants of the original bell tower clock, candelabras and others. 



This is the first known bakery in Pasig which was put up in the year 1919 by Ambrosio Lozada – the father of the internationally known violinist Carmencita Lozada. The fact that it shared a pen name with national hero Dr. Jose Rizal all the more establishes its significance in the days when Pasig was starting to carve a name in entrepreneurship.

Kapasigan then, where Dimas-Alang Bakery is located, was composed of Sta. Elena, San Isidro and Wawa, the sitios by the river edge. During that time, there was nothing as enticing as the sweet scent of bread wafting all over this “baybay ng ilog”, coaxing townsfolk to pause from what they’re doing and partake of the town’s ever favorite snack: the pandesal.

In the succeeding years, Dimas-Alang would introduce baked goods inspired by foreign palates – the croissant and French breads, for example. But the Pasig folks remained loyal to the pandesal. Other favorites that saw brisk sale were the aglipay, the bonete, biscocho de cana and the “di ko akalain”. 



In January 1572, the Augustinians led by Fr. Alonzo de Alvarado sailed down the Pasig River with the encomendero Juan de la Isla. They reached Maybunga on January 17, the feast of San Antonio Abad, placing him as its titular.

Maybunga was then an independent community with its own group of lakans and maginoos. It is likely that this community was the settlement established by Dayang Kalangitan and Gat Lontok, centuries before the Spanish arrived. – Three days later, the Spaniards moved on from Maybunga to the center of ancient Pasig at Pinagbuhatan.

A distinct feature of the community is the centuries-old chapel which the Spanish missionaries, with the help of the natives of the community, built. In it is enshrined the community’s patron saint, San Antonio Abad. The patron saint is believed to help the residents in many ways, such as in bringing about a good rice harvest, progress and prosperity. 



The Pasig City Museum, formerly known as the Concepcion Mansion, is located at one end of the Plaza Rizal in barangay San Jose. It was built in 1937 by Don Fortunato Concepcion, a successful business tycoon and the former mayor of Pasig (1918-1921). During World War II, the Japanese used it as their headquarters and detention center. On 19 February 1945, the American flag was hoisted atop the tower of this mansion, symbolizing the end of the Japanese occupation of Pasig – the Liberation Day of Pasig.

The Concepcion Mansion was acquired by the City of Pasig in 1980 from the heirs of Dr. Jose Concepcion, a son of Don Fortunato. For two decades, it housed the Pasig Library and Museum. In October 2000 the building was renovated; and in 2001, it was fully devoted to museum use. This marked the beginning of the thrust of the city of Pasig in the promotion of its arts, culture, and history.

In February 2008 the museum had undergone major rehabilitation and restoration works. This picture was shot after its renovation. The picture was already edited to eliminate the wires that cross the building. Then in June 6, 2008, it opened with a world-class

presentation of the city’s history and heritage. Today, it is one of the best local historical museums housing a Timeline History of Pasig, Comparative Sites and Landmarks Photo Exhibit, Natural Science Hall and some of the original furniture of the mansion among others.

Today, the Pasig City Museum is not merely history preserved in stands and display cases but an effective tool of the Local Government of Pasig in the promotion of arts, history and culture as well as tourism for the city. 



The Augustinians led by Fr. Alonzo de Alvarado and encomendero Juan de la Isla reached the ancient barrio through the riverside on 20 January 1572. The first Mass was celebrated on the same date honoring the feast of San Sebastian, which they adopted as their patron. This is the area where the Spaniards first established their parish and cabecera. The town was simply called Pasig or “San Sebastian de Pasig.”

After about a year in Pasig, de la Isla and the friars apparently realized that the ancient town center was not the ideal site wherein to build permanent edifices of Church and State. It gets flooded during the rainy season thus they moved their center to Malinao – the site of the present Immaculate Conception Cathedral. It was only at this point that the old town center became known as Pinagbuhatan. Thereafter, the Pinagbuhatan chapel became one of the parish’s visitas.

From a small chapel, a bigger church was built in Pinagbuhatan. It was inaugurated on 6 May 1990 by His Eminence Jaime Cardinal Sin, Archbishop of Manila. In 31 May 1990, a decree was signed creating San Sebastian Church as a Parish of the Diocese of Pasig. Likewise in 12 June 1990, Rev. Fr. David Colong was solemnly installed as its first parish priest.

In view of these facts, the City of Pasig has conferred the Bahay na Tisa the Dangal ng Pasig Award for Culture on the 30th day of June 2009.


Don Fortunato Concepcion donated the land and building of the Rizal Council Boy Scouts Headquarter. This edifice provided the prestige of the Rizal Province as the first-class council and signaled a great stride in the advancement of the Scouting movement. This building was constructed in January 1949 and was completed and made ready for occupancy in one and a half month’s time.

Conferences, inductions, trainings and other activities were held in the Rizal Boy Scout Council Headquarters. There were also major decisions discussed, decided, approved and implemented within its Conference Hall. It really played an important role in the development of Scouting in Pasig.

Even the first joint exhibit of the Historical Research Club (originally Pitong Matanda sa Pasig) and the Pasig Art Club was held here in 1957. Aside from scouting, the site also became a venue for cultural, historical and artistic events up to the 1970’s.

Written by Village Connect

In a world where free quarterly print and online publications rule, Concept and Beyond Publishing (formerly, Tesmarias Publishing) a publisher of Village Connect (VC) stands out as a pillar and a trailblazer, raising the bar for complimentary magazines with quality reads that are tailored to discriminating Filipino urbanites.

As a print and digital publication, VC strives to provide readers an insightful glimpse into the ever-changing business landscape through relevant dialogue and inclusive coverage of trending news, information, and lifestyle tidbits within (and outside) the metropolis.

On a bigger scale, VC identifies and promotes Philippine innovations in various industries and connects them with Manila’s young and upbeat populace.

Since its founding in 2011, VC emerged as a household and business name, with a monthly circulation of 50,000 copies distributed FREE in Metro Manila, VC is targeted toward select villages, multi-dwelling outfits (condominiums, serviced apartments), banks, and lifestyle facilities including salons, wellness institutes, and beauty and fitness centers. It is also exclusively carried by Figaro Coffee Shops in Metro Manila – truly living up to its goal of connecting villages and businesses.

“Get Connected and Join the Conversation”

Connecting villages to the urban world where villages and businesses come together. Your information hub for urban and corporate living.

Should you have further queries, please feel free to contact us at the telephone number, (02) 7255-1092 or mobile numbers: (0916) 704-7815 or (0939) 592-7990 or visit our website:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



GCash to disburse Makati City’s P2.7B financial assistance to 500,000 Makatizens

Online Shopping Awareness